Friday, May 20, 2011

Panda Bear @ Governor's Island

 Panda Bear is my favorite musician. Hands down. Person Pitch was the second record I purchased when I started to collect Vinyl. The first being Merriweather Post Pavilion and third being Spirit. I'd have to say, out of those three, Spirit is my favorite. I mean, Panda Bear's percussion is as close to perfect as you'll ever get. Person Pitch, though, was by far my favorite solo release by Panda thus far. Governor's Island only held Tomboy songs for us, but hey, that's ok, those songs are still heady as fuck Noah.
 To start off the trip an old friend of mine, who we'll call Cheese, came from Buffalo to Oswego to pick me, Char Nuggs, Dee Duggs and David Slow up. We drove 7 hours down to Long Island to stay at Slow's house. Party. Bonus.
 The next day was the day of the concert, September 11th, 2011. We missed every normal Ferry to Governor's Party. Bonus.Island by 5 minutes. We freaked out searching for a Ferry. After searching every corner of Brooklyn, we decided to check out Manhatten. We parked Slow's Accord at a garage and continued our search. Right when we were about to give up we saw some trippy banners saying "concert" right by the river and we knew we were on the right track.
 The island was so cool. Fluorescent trees and Avey Tare DJing. To the left you could see the memorial lights for the Twin Towers. Dust was getting caught in the lights and was illuminating, or I may have just been tripping. Teengirl Fantasy opened. Meh. Gala Drop played next and that's when the trip really started. We couldn't stop laughing at them. Every song sounded the same. Maybe one day I'll upload Char Nuggs impression of them, it's classic.
 Finally, Panda Played. This was the first time I got to see him solo and he delivered. The lights, visuals and immense wall of sound completely distracted from the trip and for an hour or so my whole reality was Panda Bear. Although my hands were a tad shaky from the pure awesomeness of the show, the videos came out pretty well. I mislabeled the songs in the videos, sorry:









After the show we chilled on the island as long as we could. It was kinda scary getting herded off the island like sheep. The big, stone, prison like buildings were laced with flood lights so you couldn't see anything. And we were tripping which we forgot about... HAUPPAUGE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment